Just Check Talking Points
- Syphilis cases are rising in Central and North Louisiana, and the Louisiana Department of Health (LDH), Office of Public Health’s STD/HIV/Hepatitis Program (SHHP) encourages Alexandria, Shreveport, Monroe and surrounding areas to take action through a community-informed STI awareness campaign called Just Check.
- Syphilis, when left undiagnosed and untreated, results in serious consequences such as blindness, deafness, long term neurological dysfunction, and of course congenital syphilis.
Therefore, SHHP is launching a 10-week STD Awareness Campaign to increase awareness of syphilis in public health regions 6 (central), 7 (northwest), and 8 (northeast) and encourage Louisianans to get tested for syphilis.
- This campaign creatively incorporates the values of football, family, food, and fitness.
- Increase syphilis testing in regions 6, 7, and 8.
- Encourage Louisianans to learn more by visiting the campaign landing page on LAHHUB.org.
- Normalize conversation about STI testing between partners and between healthcare providers and their clients.
- Currently, Louisiana ranks 9th in primary and secondary syphilis and 5th in congenital syphilis diagnosis rates in the United States. While the responsibility of Louisiana’s ranking is shared statewide, the number of syphilis cases in Central and North Louisiana is alarming.
- Since 2018, the number of new early syphilis diagnoses has increased across this region.
- In 2020, over one-third of all early syphilis diagnoses were among residents of Central and North Louisiana.
- These statistics emphasize the importance of raising awareness around syphilis education, testing, and treatment across the state of Louisiana.
- Get screened for STIs. It doesn’t mean you have anything, but it doesn’t hurt to #JustCheck #StopSyphilis
- Stop Syphilis and #JustCheck for STIs by getting screened at your local clinic.
- You have the home field advantage when you are proactive and #JustCheck to stop syphilis. Visit JustCheck.org to see where you can get screened.
- Not sure what that rash may be? #JustCheck with your local clinic to find out.
- Let’s make sure our babies are healthy and #JustCheck for STIs the next time you go to the doctor.
- It’s no judgement, start the conversation, and tell your friends to #JustCheck.
- The most common symptom of STIs, is no symptom at all. Ask you doctor about STI testing and #JustCheck
- It’s recommended to get tested every 6 months, let’s stop syphilis and get tested. #JustCheck\
- STI screenings are easy and virtually painless. Take and friend and #JustCheck.
- Syphilis is on the rise, as a precautionary, let’s test for STIs. #JustCheck
- You are the key to treat and cure Syphilis. Talk to your clients today about STI screenings. #Just Check.
- We check for STIs just like we check for everything else. #JustCheck
- Your clients may be scared to ask. Break the ice and talk about STIs. #JustCheck
- We must get syphilis in check and it starts with you. #JustCheck
Syphilis – is an STD/STI that can cause long-term complications if not treated correctly. Symptoms in adults are divided into stages. These stages are primary, secondary, latent, and late syphilis.
Primary Syphilis – The first stage involves a painless sore on the genitals, rectum, or mouth.
Secondary Syphilis – After the initial sore heals, the second stage is characterized by a rash. Then, there are no symptoms until the final stage which may occur years later.
To save the images on a PC, right click your mouse and select “Save As.”
On a Mac, press the Command Key (⌘) and the mouse button, then select “Save.”