Emergency Financial Assistance
SHP has added standard 12.2.C to the Universal Organization and Service Standards which addresses the time limit for each EFA line item.
|12.2.C||EFA in a given line item may only be used for 30 days per client.||Case notes and services document that EFA was provided for one month per year per line item.|
Clients may receive 30 days of assistance in the following line items:
- Essential Utilities (water, gas, electricity, phone)
- A payment of 30 days’ worth of any of the mentioned utilities.
- Housing expenses (mortgage, or rent)
- One month’s rent or mortgage.
- A 30 day bus pass.
- A 30 day prescription or 30 days’ worth of over the counter medication required by a medical provider.
Emergency Financial Assistance for Medication
EFA Medication line item should be used as a last resort. If a client is in need of medication staff should complete a LA HAP and/or Medicaid application as soon as possible.
Over the counter medications are not eligible expenditures unless there is a prescription or written requirements from a medical practitioner. Documentation of this requirement must be submitted when EFA is used.
No EFA medication payments may be used to collect 340B revenue. No EFA medication payments may be made for drugs primarily prescribed for Erectile Dysfunction (ED), even when the prescription is written for off label use.